Having a baby is one of the wonders of creation. But some couples have difficulty in fulfilling this dream; this is where the scientific knowledge and application of the medical fraternity brings joy to millions of couples by assisting them to conceive through IVF.
IVF comprises of
- Stimulation and monitoring of the development of follicles (eggs) in the female
- Retrieval of these eggs under ultrasound guidance
- Procurement of sperms from the male
- Fertilization of the egg with sperm in the lab
- Culturing the embryo for a few days
- Transfer of the embryo back into the uterus of the female partner
- Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) – A variation of the procedure involves injecting the sperm into the egg
Why is the procedure required?
IVF is done to help a woman become pregnant. It is used to treat many causes of infertility, including
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes (can be caused by pelvic inflammatory disease or prior reproductive surgery)
- Male factor infertility, including decreased sperm count and blockage
- Unexplained infertility
- Advanced age of the woman